Pork Sausage Sandwiches
- 2 green bell peppers, stemmed and seeded
- 1 red bell pepper, stemmed and seeded
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 2 pounds Italian sausages, hot or mild
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ pound button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons dried Italian herb blend
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 6 hero or hard rolls, each about 6 to 8 inches long, split
- ¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
Get your grill going using natural lump charcoal and preheat to 400°F.
Cut the peppers into quarters and brush them with some olive oil. Place them on the grill, skin down, for about 15 minutes until the skins are charred black.
Place the peppers in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap until they are cool enough to handle, about 10 minutes. Wipe away the charred skin from the peppers with paper towels, cut into thin strips and set aside.
Place the sausages on the grill and cook for around 15 minutes, turning the sausages throughout the cooking process. For your safety, please reference the USDA safe cooking temperatures. Set aside on a cutting board to rest.
Meanwhile, heat a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the 3 tablespoons olive oil and sauté the onions, garlic and mushrooms for 4 to 5 minutes.
Add the tomatoes, herbs, balsamic vinegar, and 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Bring to a boil, lower to a simmer and stir in the sliced peppers. Heat through for a few more minutes.
Prepare the rolls by brushing cut sides with oil and grill (cut sides down) until the bread is lightly toasted. Cut the rested sausages diagonally into 3/4-inch thick slices and divide among the toasted rolls.
Top with the tomato-pepper mixture and garnish with parmesan before serving.