- 10 jalapeños, seeded and halved lengthwise
- 1 can of rotel, drained and placed on paper towels to soak up any extra juices and par dry (too much juice will ruin the stuffing)
- 1 block of cream cheese, softened
- ½ lb your favorite ground sausage (we love green onion sausage!)
- ½ lb thin sliced bacon
- fresh ground black pepper
Combine the cream cheese, Rotel, salt, pepper to taste.
Fill jalapeños with cream cheese mixture.
Form small log with ground sausage, placing it onto cream cheese mixture.
Place bacon strip on cutting board and press/stretch out gently with hands. (Thinning out bacon will ensure a crispy grilled product and make bacon go further. Depending on size of jalapeños you may only use 1/2 a strip per popper.
Wrap the jalapeños with bacon, making sure your strip ends on the bottom (jalapeño side).
Grill over your favorite lump charcoal until bacon is crispy and meat is cooked through. Once you place your jalapeño poppers (jalapeño side down) on grill, dont fiddle with them until the bacon gets a good seal.
Rotating them too early will make your bacon come apart. If you create a two-zone fire (placing briquets to one side of your grill) you can control the temperature better. Shifting poppers around (not turning over) as needed to ensure bacon is crisping up evenly.